Pages

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Once in a lifetime interview with the one and only Felix Mendelssohn



JB: Hello folks, today I'll be interviewing composer Felix Mendelssohn! How are you doing there sir? Also, tell us about where you lived and how you were brought up?


FM: I would gladly love too. I was born on Febuary 3rd 1809. In sweet ole' Germany. I, yes, was the second of four children; my older sister Fanny also displayed exceptional and precocious musical talent. There names were, Fanny, Paul and Rebeka. My parents were Leo my mum, and Abraham Mendelssohn. They did their best to give us the best education even when times were a bit rigid. At that time in 1811, we moved away to Berlin. Fanny on the the other hand, started out more...musically talented than me I would say. My own father thought she was going to be more musical than me. Hahaha-You can see he thought incorrectly. But, it was not proper at the time for a woman, to have a career in music. However, I was really committed to music even though my father had second thoughts, it took me a while to persuade him.



JB: What events in your...early life I would say, made you interested in music?



FM: Well, I would say the earliest was twelve years young. I actually grew up in a intellectual environment. Visitors that came frequently to our home, which my parents organized had many, many talented artists. Musicians , scientists, and artists. I would probably say they ispired me. They opened up a whole new world of many different things. It was a getaway, into a dream you've always dreamt, over and over again.




JB: I guess what you've said answered this question haha. What roles did your mentors have in helping you develop the interests and talents you have now as an artist then and now?


FM: Not to brag, I was taught by very, extrodinary artists that are well known now. One is Bigot, one of my piano tutors in Paris. Even my own mother taught me how to play at six. All my siblings studied with Ludwig Berger. Carl Zelter. He was a huge influence on me. Zelter, whose tastes in music were conservative, was also an admirer of the Bach tradition. This, without a doubt had a hue impact on me. Because of him, most of my music was more baroque style. I would say my fugues and chorales especially reflect a tonal clarity and lots of climax. John Sebastian Bach was one of my huge admirers too.


JB: What was the world of art like to you, in the music field when you entered in?


FM: Hmmm..., I would say hectic. Hahah , I might sound a little coo coo in the brain but, I switched to so many teachers, tutors, you name it, in such shorts amount of time, it was unbelievable. However, it was a marvelous thing because then I wouldn't be siting her having his interview.


JB: Haha that's right. How did cultural, economic and political situations at the time affect your work?


FM: "Music affects the heart and emotions more that intellect. Where then can the heart of the nation beat stronger than in the huge masses, in which the heart of a nation has found its true home?" Minister of Propaganda Joseph Goebbels stated. I believe that was what Germany stood for. We were most known for our music through the tough times our nation has had. Music has a unique significance and power. Other composers like Schubert and Schumann had a way with their music like it was poetry written in notes that caught the hearts of people.




JB: What were your major accomplishments and methods you used in your career?



FM: Well, one I would state before anything else would be one of the most known songs by me would me A Midsummer Night's Dream. It was one of my most widely-admired pieces considering it being performed during the time of the Nazi's. Oh what a dreadful time that was. It was I who founded Leipzig Conservatory and put it on the map that it was officially Germany's musical center. I presented my one and only opera The Marriage Of the Camacho. 1829 was a good year for me. I conducted a performance of Bach's St. Matthew Passion. It was such a grand success, it led to many other opportunities which led me to conducting the London Philharmonic Society.



JB: What were the main opportunities you had that led to your turning points in life and

music itself?




FM: Well I would say that it was all the teachers and tutors I've had all because of my parents. If they didn't have the slightest amount of care and courtesy which they did, o wouldn't be the person I am now. And I truly thank them for that. Also my sister Fanny, she had a huge impact on me mainly because she inspired me earlier than anyone else did.


JB: What hardships or roadblocks did you have that you have overcome as an artist?



FM: One of them was actually my fathers death. It was very tragic and dreadful but I made my way through and composed more songs. I thought I was picking myself up but then, my older sister....Fanny...., she passed away a year later.....I've never expected things to go downhill that quickly you know?.... It was just very, very heartbreaking. I lost my mind then. I felt like I couldn't go on.


JB: Sorry for your losses.., But what personal stories best illustrate how you became an successful artist?


FM: I would say when I was about 9 years old, I made my first public debt in Berlin. Many of of teachers especially Zelter would compare me to Mozart. I really didn't take it to heart until I got older. Germany has had many other successful artists like I said but, Mozart was, I would say superior at that time since he was a child prodigy like me. I guess where they find that comparison hahah!


JB: The last question I want to ask you before we go is, in your eyes, how did your work impact the world?



FM: I think my atmospheric effects and the fresh lyrical melodies in my music revealed the mind of a real German composer. It's an honor to even be compared to even greater artists. Since I've been working on music ever since I was young and even during World War II, I've felt like I inspired people not to give up and that they're better things waiting for you if you're willing to strive and work for it. I can tell you now, being the pianist, composer, and singer I am now didn't take two weeks. It takes an amount of work, trials, and inspiring people to make your way up. Now that, is words from an experienced man.


JB: Thank you so much for your time! And have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment